Jim is a board certified specialist in business bankruptcy law and an experienced litigator. He is also a NCDRC Certified Mediator and focuses on mediating bankruptcy and financial litigation cases. Before forming JC White Law Group, he was an attorney at one of the state’s largest law firms handling business litigation and bankruptcy. Work for his clients has included:
- He represents businesses and individuals in complex litigation matters in State Court, North Carolina’s Business Court and Federal Court.
- Represented businesses and individuals against banks and other financial institutions, including multiple confidential six-figure settlements with banks for:
- foreclosure fraud,
- violations of the truth in lending act,
- violations of North Carolina’s debt collection statutes,
- improper trash-out of a foreclosed home, causing a family to lose nearly everything they owned,
- even selling the wrong house in foreclosure.
- Represented businesses and individuals in a range of cases, including:
- Confidential settlement on behalf of contestants in a reality television show in a lawsuit that received international media attention,
- Six-figure settlement for tortious interference with contract claim,
- Six-figure settlement against homeowners insurance company for failure to properly investigate a claim,
- Five-figure settlement with the city of Raleigh on behalf of two men wrongfully arrested outside a club on Glenwood Avenue,
- A seven-figure settlement for a company founder wrongfully terminated by his former business partner,
- Fraud and unfair trade practices cases,
- Securities law lawsuits and arbitrations.
- Oral arguments before the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals and the North Carolina Supreme Court, and briefs before the United States Supreme Court and state and federal appellate courts.
- He has successfully helped businesses reorganize in Chapter 11 Bankruptcies in the Middle and Eastern Districts of North Carolina.
- Represented individuals in complex Chapter 7 and Chapter 11 cases.
- Served as creditors’ committee counsel and counsel for bankruptcy trustees.
- Represented Plaintiffs and Defendants in Bankruptcy Adversary Proceedings (lawsuits in Bankruptcy Court) including:
- High six-figure settlement with a national bank for its violation of the automatic stay with its improper attempts to bring a foreclosure action,
- Seven-figure settlement of a non-dischargeability action on behalf of a creditor in an Indiana bankruptcy court.
He has appeared on CBS This Morning, WRAL and News 14 Carolinas, and stories about his cases have been featured on The Today Show, Good Morning America, and CNN and been published in North Carolina Lawyers Weekly, The News & Observer, The Triangle Business Journal, and in newspapers and on news web sites across the country.
Jim recognizes the importance of representing clients pro bono who could not otherwise afford legal representation. He has represented the ACLU of North Carolina, received the Business Leader Media Pro Bono Impact Award and was named Pro Bono Attorney of the Year by Legal Aid of North Carolina, Durham County.